Museo de Bellas Artes de Granada. printer version


Inmaculada Concepción. The picture illistrates the Collection's  section
Inmaculada Concepción

The Museum's origins have had a profound influence on it as, even today, an essential part of its collections are from the confiscations. They make up the bulk of the fixed collection which is predominated by Granada religiously themed paintings executed between the 16th and 18th centuries. These works are from monasteries such as the Cartuja, or series of paintings which adorned the inside of convents such as San Francisco, La Merced, the Trinitarians or Discalced Augustinians.

The permanent collection also grew in the 20th century, particularly due to the efforts of Emilio Orozco Díaz, Museum director between 1956 and 1972. He was responsible for managing a host of acquisitions and donations. These and other successes filled the gap represented until then with the absence of works by Granada artists in the first half of the 20th century.

Finally, since 1984, the Museum has received a significant boost in this area with the contribution of the Junta de Andalucía's Collection which is based on works from the 19th and 20th centuries.

The Regional Ministry of Culture of the Junta de Andalucía has directed its acquisitions policy to filling the weakest parts of the collection. It has focused on the acquisition of renowned contemporary artists from Granada, such as Manuel Ángeles Ortiz, Manuel Rivera and José Guerrero.

In addition, following the closure of the Museum halls for refurbishment, restoration has been conducted on a significant part of the collections. In some cases, this has helped to stop deterioration, and recover artistic merits in others. In addition to the years of restoration, the main thrust in this area was to prepare the collection exhibition order. The work over these last four years gives visitors the chance to contemplate the works in the permanent exhibition in all their glory.