Museo de Málaga. printer version


Alta Mar (Marina). The picture illistrates the Collection's  section
Alta Mar (Marina)

The two sections of the Museum of Málaga have collections of very diverse origin. At present, the Museum of Málaga has a set of more than 15,000 pieces, including archaeological objects and artistic works.

The permanent collection of the Fine Arts Section has taken shape in three large blocks: objects deposited by the San Telmo Academy of Fine Arts; the items deposited by the Prado Museum and the current Reina Sofia National Museum and Art Centre, holders of the former Museums of the Trinity and the National Modern Art Museum; and individual donations by artists and private collectors. 

Since its creation, in 1915, significant collections have been donated to the museum, for example, those made by the artists Antonio Muñoz Degrain (1916), Rafael Murillo Carreras (1916), José Denis Belgrano (1916) and José Nogales Sevilla (1935), to which we can add the items deposited by the San Telmo Academy of Fine Arts, collector of a rich artistic heritage since it was set up in 1849 to date.

The acquisitions by the State assigned to the Museum of Málaga have made up, since 1933, a compact set of pieces. For its part, the Junta de Andalucía, which has run the museum since 1984, has also developed an active policy of acquiring works, focused on the search and incorporation of significant pieces in order to fill the existing gaps in the collection, and in addition, since 1986 the Junta has created a collection of contemporary art from Málaga and Andalucía.

The origin of the collections in the Archaeology section is diverse, the main part of the objects coming from the former Loringiano Museum. This museum was founded due to the extraordinary finding of some tablets in El Ejido, Málaga, in 1851: the Lex Flavia Malacitana and the Lex Salpensa. The Marquis of Casa-Loring incorporated pieces acquired in various points of Andalucía, but  mainly in Málaga. In addition, two important collections were included in the 18th century, from the Marquis de Valdeflores and the Cordovan, from Pedro Leonardo de Villacevallos.

The systematic excavations which were promoted from the 70s by archaeologists from the museum itself or from the University of Málaga also contributed materials of interest from the Roman cities  of Lacipo (Casares), Acinipo (Ronda), or Suel (Fuengirola), or from the sites of the Roman theatre of Málaga and Cerro del Villar (Málaga), among others.

Finally, the laws passed in the 80s in order to protect archaeological heritage determined the objects in the museum, with most of the pieces originating from the emergency excavations made in the historical ensembles of Málaga,  in places mainly predetermined by urban planning.